From our friends at the www.micga.org:

 

Michigan Charitable Gaming Association Newsletter
Your Charity’s Voice

February 2014

Call to ACTION! 

Letters to the Senate, House of Representatives and the Governor!

 

Recent events at the Capitol have brought to our attention that it is imperative that the charities continue to contact their Senators and Representatives and the Governor to let them know about the services your organization provides to the community and  how devastating these rules will be to your organization.

 

A Sample Letter to Your Legislator:

 

Dear Senator/Representative/Governor:

 

I am a member of ORGANIZATION NAME.

 

I am opposed to the new rules being submitted by the Michigan Gaming Control Board Executive Director Richard Kalm.

I urge the legislature to take action to stop these rules from being enacted.

 

Our ORGANIZATION conducts (#) charitable events per year.  We raise typically $$$ (AMOUNT) per event.  With these funds we provide the following services to (NAME OF CITY COUNTY) residents:

1. List services here.

2. List services here.

 

We will be unable to provide these services if the rules are enacted.  This would be terrible for Michigan’s citizens who rely on organizations like ours to fill in the gaps where the state cannot or will not provide assistance.  

 

Sincerely,

NAME      

 

Here is a link to find your Senators and a link to find your Representatives.

 

Copy the Governor on any letter you send to the legislature. His address is:

Governor Rick Snyder

PO Box 30013

Lansing, MI 48909

New Board of Directors Elected                    A new board of directors was elected at the annual meeting. The full list of Board members is below:

Tony Macksoud, Optimist Club of Lapeer

Joseph M. Potvin, VFW Post 6132

Ronald Pioch, Knights of Columbus Council 7311

Roger Reed, Grey Dragons Foundation

Dona Gartside, Dewitt Memorial Foundation

Beverly Ward, Albion Elks 1798

Judy Downy, Grace Episcopal Church

Dane Nickols, Laingsburg Lions Club

Andy Such, Kiwanis Club of Haslett

Scott Mesner, Aim High Proceeds (Doc’s Sports Retreat)

William “Doc” Barr, Novi Lions Club

Rick Redman, Eaton County QDMA

 

 

 

MiCGA disputes figures used by Kalm in TV appearance                    On January 19, 2014, the Executive Director of the MGCB appeared on Fox 2 in Detroit in a segment called “Let it Rip.” His opponent in this debate was the Marine City Music Festival.  In this interview Director Kalm indicates that charities only take 10 percent of the revenue from these games and implies that the location rooms get the rest.  However, this fact is misleading at best.  In an average millionaire party event, 80% of the revenue is paid back to the players as winnings.  This is actually quite consistent with major casinos.  The charity collects the remaining 20% and uses this revenue to pay its costs associated with holding the event which includes a bill from the supplier or owner/operator.  These bills cannot exceed 50% of the 20% they collected.

 

The amount of revenue that a charity takes home at the close of these events is much greater in recent years from the advent of the “poker rooms” than when charities tried to conduct these events in their own halls and lodges.

 

 

Sincerely,
Michigan Charitable Gaming Association 

Board of Directors Meeting

 

Thursday, February 27, 2014

10:00a.m.

 

Office of Kelley Cawthorne

208 N. Capitol Ave.,

Floor 3

Lansing, MI 48933

 

RSVP to info@micga.org