The House appears positioned to take up SB878 this month in an effort to help the charities stop the rules that have been proposed by the Executive Director of the MGCB. Representative Hugh Crawford (R-Novi) announced he would hold a hearing on the bill on Tuesday, May 13th at 9:00am. The location will be announced next week. It is CRITICAL that every charity send a representative to attend this hearing.
If you cannot attend, please fill out the the public comment card that you can download by clicking here. You can scan the card and return it back to email@example.com. If you do not have a scanner, just email the required information to the same address. We will collect all of the cards and emails from those who cannot attend, and deliver them to the Chair of the Committee on May 13th.
Contact House Leadership
Every charity regardless of the city they are in should contact the following 2 legislators who are leaders in the House to tell them to support SB878. The people and groups that receive the benefit of your charity’s work should also call.
- Jase Bolger, (R-63rd), Speaker of the House, 517-373-1787
- Jim Stamas, (R-98th), Majority Floor Leaders, 517-373-1791
Contact House Committee Members
Every charity, but especially charities from their House Districts, should contact the following representatives. We have listed the cities and towns in each district for your convenience. If your charity is not located there, but has a chapter in their district, that chapter should reach out to the legislator and tell them how important SB878 is for their organization statewide.
- Hugh D. Crawford (R) Committee Chair, 38th District, 517-373-0827
- Lyon Twp., Northville, Novi, Novi Twp., South Lyon, and Walled Lake
- Ed McBroom (R) Majority Vice-Chair, 108th District, 517-373-0156
- Delta County, Dickinson County, and Menominee County
- Cindy Denby (R) 47th District, 517-373-8835
- Conway Twp., Cohoctah Twp., Deerfield Twp., Hartland Twp., Howell Twp., Handy Twp., Iosco Twp., Unadilla Twp., Oceola Twp., Marion Twp., Tyrone Twp., Howell, and Fenton.
- Tom McMillin (R) 45th District, 517-373-1773
- Rochester, Rochester Hills, and Oakland Twp.
- Andrea LaFontaine (R) 32nd District, 517-373-8931
- New Baltimore, Memphis, Richmond, Chesterfield Twp., Casco Twp., Columbus Twp., Ira Twp., Kenockee Twp., Kimball Twp., Riley Twp., and Wales Twp.
- Bruce Rendon (R) 103rd District, 517-373-3817
- Missaukee County, Crawford County, Kalkaska County, Roscommon County, and Ogemaw County.
- Ken Yonker (R) 72nd District, 517-373-0840
- Dorr Twp., Leighton Twp., Wayland, Wayland Twp., Gaines Twp., and Kentwood.
- Tim Kelly (R) 94th District, 517-373-0837
- Frankenmuth, Blumfield Twp., Frankenmuth Twp., Albee Twp., Taymouth Twp., Birch Run Twp., St. Charles Twp., Swan Creek Twp., Thomas Twp., Saginaw Twp., and Tittabawasee Twp.
- Klint Kesto (R) 39th District, 517-373-1799
- Wixom, Commerce Twp., West Bloomfield Twp., and Wolverine Lake.
- Harold Haugh (D) Minority Vice-Chair, 22nd District, 517-373-0854
- Theresa Abed (D) 71st District, 517-373-0853
- Bellevue Twp., Benton Twp., Carmel Twp., Charlotte, Chester Twp., Delta Twp., Eaton Twp., Eaton Rapids Twp., Grand Ledge, Kalamo Twp., Lansing, Olivet, Oneida Twp., Potterville, Roxand Twp., Sunfield Twp., Vermontville Twp., Walton Twp., and Windsor Twp.
- Woodrow Stanley (D) 34th District, 517-373-8808
- Scott Dianda (D) 110th District, 517-373-0850
- Baraga County, Gogebic County, Houghton County, Iron County, Keweenaw County, Ontonagon County, Ishpeming Twp., and Powell Twp.
- David Nathan (D) 8th District, 517-373-3815
- Andy Schor (D) 68th District, 517-373-0826
A comparison of some key issues related to SB878 and the rules that will go into effect can be found by clicking here.